10 things to avoid for your website
As web designers, it is our job to give what our clients want.
However, would you teach your general surgeon on how to cut up your body? Similarly, try not to impose your views on the web designer. More does not necessarily mean less, and vice versa.
Below are the top 10 things to avoid doing to your website.
1. Too many Google Ads: Trying to monetize your site is perfectly fine, but covering the entire homepage with Google ads is not going to make you successful. I can give you 100s of sites that does this. Not smart.
2. Poor Load Time: You don’t want your audience to sit there for a minute because the load time of your website is very slow. They will leave. Same reason goes for Full Flash website. Yes, the animation can be captivating. However, would your audience wait for it to load finish?
3. Poor Graphics: Your graphics need to appeal to your audience and if yours do not you might get people leaving your website fairly quickly. Avoid too many bright colorful images. Unless probably you're targeting young children? Even then, there are tactful ways to design your site to appeal to this group of audience.
4. Confusing Layout: Your website needs to lead your traffic down a path and a confusing layout might turn them off or really confuse them.
5. Poor Navigation: Your website navigation should be laid out thoroughly and in a fashion that is not confusing to your audience.
6. Too Much SEO: Nobody wants to view a website that has more links than content so make sure that it is first readable by your audience before you SEO it to death.
7. No Blog: Believe it or not there are certain people that will not engage with your website if it doesn’t have a blog.
8. Lack of Contact Info: Visible contact info is something that allows website visitors to feel warm and fuzzy in order to make further contact with your company.
9. Broken Links: Always make sure that the links on your website are working and not broken. People really don’t like clicking on links that lead them to nowhere.
10. Lack of Information: Your website should have the proper information to answer any of your website visitor’s questions. A lack of information could cause them to go elsewhere.
Make sure that you go through your website with a fine toothed comb and clean up any of these Website Building 101 concerns that sometimes plague website owners from growing their business well into the future. Make sure that people do not HATE your website!
- By administrator
- 2011-04-02 19:57:44
- Web Design